I am sure, by now, you have heard of the 5 Love Languages. If you haven’t, make sure to check out our blog post Understanding You and Your Partner’s Love Language, which gives the breakdown of each one. Just to name them, the 5 Love Languages are words of affirmation, quality time, gift-giving, acts of service, and physical touch. One of the main love languages that we all share to some degree is ‘words of affirmation.’
What are words of affirmation? According to Mind Body Green, these are “any spoken or written words that confirm, support, uplift, and empathize with another person in a positive manner.” In regards to the love language, these are the words that you share with your partner.
Not everyone considers words of affirmation to be one of their top love languages, which is okay (mine is quality time!). However, this is still a super important part of a relationship. According to Growing The Givens, “we usually feel much more confident in ourselves if we know that there are other people who believe in and are confident in us.” This could not be more true.
Remember that saying, ‘sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me?’ Well, sometimes words do hurt-- especially if they come with a negative connotation from your partner. For this reason, it is important to show your partner love and share your appreciation for them every day. I guarantee you will get a smile or two.
20 phrases that you can share with your partner
- You look really sexy today.
- Thank you for taking out the trash, even if it is just so I don’t have to.
- Thanks for making me laugh.
- I can’t tell you how much it means to me that you support my dreams.
- You are special to me.
- How can I best love you today?
- After all of this time, I’m still so crazy for you.
- Is there anything I can be praying about for you?
- I just wanted to let you know I’m proud of you.
- I respect you.
- I trust you.
- You are my best friend.
- You are my heart.
- You have my support.
- You make me a better person just by being you.
- Did I tell you how grateful I am that you are my partner?
- Thank you for making me feel safe and loved.
- I am glad to do life by your side.
- I am here if you need me.
- I love you.
And the best part is, you decide how to communicate these phrases with your partner. You can send a text, write a note, or even say it to their face.
Whatever you choose, you will be sure to leave a smile on your partner’s face.